Re: Under what circumstances should one use a non-equijoin?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 22:50:37 GMT

dananrg_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> It is good or bad practice to perform non-equijoins - e.g. to do table
> joins where there is no formal foreign key to relate two tables.
>
> Under what circumstances is it necessary or desirable to perform
> non-equijoins? Can someone give a few examples?
>
> If I have to perform a non-equijoins, does this mean I'm using a poorly
> designed RDBMS?

A non-equijoin will produce a different result set than that of an equijoin. I don't feel that this comes down to good or bad practice, but getting the results of the query that meet your business requirements. If you need to pull data out of your database and an equijoin gets that data accurately, then you should do one.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net