Re: Under what circumstances should one use a non-equijoin?

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 17:27:36 -0400

<dananrg_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
: It is good or bad practice to perform non-equijoins - e.g. to do table
: joins where there is no formal foreign key to relate two tables.
:
: Under what circumstances is it necessary or desirable to perform
: non-equijoins? Can someone give a few examples?
:
: If I have to perform a non-equijoins, does this mean I'm using a poorly
: designed RDBMS?
:

is depends... not all data relationships are PK/FK -- many are derived and thus discovered/analyzed/retrieved/formed with other than FK/PK joins (btw a non-equijoin does not imply that no PK/FK is involved -- the term is a reference to the operator used, not the columns)

kinda sounds like exam questions, though...

++mcs Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 16:27:36 CDT