Re: Shutdown abort and then I Lost Redo log files

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 09:16:21 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:
> Steve Howard wrote:
> > Jumbo wrote:
> > > "peter" <hhh.database_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > If you cannot open your database after a shutdown abort your probably have
> > > 'checkpoint not complet' messages in your alert.log.
> > > Increase the size of your redo logs or add more groups.
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Take a look at the subject line of the post to which you responded...

> Jumbo, Steve is right your response is not even close.
>

> Peter, look up point in time recovery. You should be able to use the
> current control file.
>

> See Oracle9i Backup and Recovery Concepts Release 2 (9.2) Part Number
> A96519-01, Ch 4, Backup and Recovery Strategies, Section Online Redo
> Log Recovery:
> >>
> If you lose the current group, and the database is not closed cleanly
> (either it is open, or it has crashed), then you will have to restore
> an old backup and do point in time recovery, followed by open
> resetlogs. You will lose all transactions that were in the lost log.
> <<

> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

...also (and I wouldn't recommend it), but if you don't have a backup, in an *absolute worst case scenario*, you can issue the infamous _allow_resetlogs_corruption=true, bounce it, open resetlogs, and then get an immediate export. You almost certainly will have corrupt data. It is probably not even feasible time wise (let alone process-wise) given the size of todays' databases (I know we couldn't), but for understanding recovery concepts in a single test system, it can be useful.

Let the flames begin :)

Regards,

Steve Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 11:16:21 CDT