Re: ODBC/Windows Client

From: Dave <solomons_dad.w.marks_and_whom_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 09:22:07 +0100

J Huntley Palmer wrote:
> What is the best way to get a minimalist Oracle ODBC install on Windows
> without all the extra management and programmer addons from the client CD?
>
> I tried the instaclient selection but that didn't install much, not even
> the ODBC drivers.
>
> I would also need tnsping and the sql*net subsystem and whatever the
> ODBC driver needs but thats all.
>
> Thanks

Instant Client is one way to go, but you need the basic Instant Client package and the ODBC Supplement. These are both available at http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

Scroll down from the Platform Downloads to find the ODBC Supplement ("Additional libraries for enabling ODBC applications with Instant Client (Not all platforms)".

Using the Oracle Installer and the standard CD set (not Instant Client) you can ensure a minimal ODBC installation by selecting Custom, then at the product list deselect everything except ODBC. This will pull in the required dependencies. Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 03:22:07 CDT