Re: 9i Rac with active/passive config

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 09:29:35 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> nirav wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to set up 2 node 9i rac on linux , such that one node is
> > allways active and the other one is passive. so that all connections
> > are allways directed only to the active node?
> >
> > I think it is possible with data guard , but I do not know for sure..if
> > it is possible then please point the link to the installation set up
> > for the same.
> >
> > appreciate your help...
> >
> > Nirav
>
> You are confusing RAC and Data Guard. RAC is Active:Active. If you want
> passive you don't want RAC (you're just wasting money on the licenses).
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

I have to agree with Eberhard Niendorf on this. OP probably doesn't know the difference between RAC and Data Guard very clearly. But the RAC feature Eberhard mentioned, two-node primary/secondary setup, is there and can do exactly what OP needs. Oracle acknowledges that very few customers are doing this (somewhere I read on Metalink). I tested it a while back and it seems to work. It's the first time I see 'SECONDARY_INSTANCE' under v$instance.instance_role.

Yong Huang Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 11:29:35 CDT