Oracle 10g on Win2003 Needs 'Data Execution Prevention' Off

From: <basis_consultant_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2006 07:33:27 -0700

Hello,

The installation of Oracle 10g on Windows 2003 failed on a couple of different servers. By failed, I mean that OUI did not appear. No warning or error messages appeared either.

We installed Oracle 10g as part of an SAP installation procedure. The SAP installation DVDs, however, use what appears to be a standard Oracle installation procedure (In general, OUI seems to behave the same as when I installed Oracle 10g using strictly Oracle tools), which is why I am posting to this newsgroup.

We resolved this issue by disabling 'Data Execution Prevention', which was enabled by default.

However, when discussing this with others who installed Oracle 10g as part of SAP, and after checking the SAP database and metalink, it appears that, in general, 'Data Execution Prevention' does not need to be disabled for an Oracle 10g installation on Windows 2003. (The closest reference in metalink seems to be 356781.1, but that is for Forms and not a default 10g installation).

Any ideas on why 'Data Execution Prevention' needs to be disabled for Oracle 10g to install on Win2003 on our servers (Dells), but does not need to be disabled in general?

Perhaps, we have certain settings that are not common?

Thanks,
IF Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 09:33:27 CDT