Re: How to increase MAX extent size in a tablespace?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 01:44:37 GMT

jshen.cad_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sorry that I do not explain my situation clearly. In my situation,
> one of business system run on Oracle8. One of the database is created
> with extent size 20MB. I checked the DB state with "select
> tablespace_name,sum(blocks), max(blocks) from dba_free_space group by
> tablespace_name;". The result looks like:
>
> TABLESPACE_NAME SUM(BLOCKS) MAX(BLOCKS)
> ------------------------------ ----------- -----------
> TEMP00 3250479
> 463359
>

> the extent size is the value returned by "max(blocks)". I'd like to
> increase that value manually.

Your query above shows the maximum chunk of free space in your tablespace. There are other chunks of free space in your tablespace as well. If you want to add more free space to your tablespace, then you can increase the size of the tablespace's datafile or add another datafile.

You are also looking at your TEMP tablespace above. Is there a reason you want to increase the size of this? You have 463K blocks of free space in TEMP. And if you query it down the road, you may find that the total blocks of free space can either increase or decrease as the database life goes on due to sorting requirements placed on the tablespace by your end user's operations.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net