Re: confuse in latch and Slow Connection problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:45:02 +0200

On 28 May 2006 10:30:42 -0700, "peter" <hhh.database_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>hello DBAs,
>
>I think latch is private memory taken in SGA by each user while working
>on database. Is it Correct.
>And
>As Soon as I tried to connect to my database by any user on network, it
>is taking much time whereas my network and database are working
>properly. What can be the problem here, because after connection there
>is no problem in performance.Pls help......
>
>Thank You

1 no. completely incorrect. A latch is a temporary lock on a piece of memory in the SGA, usually the shared pool. As latches are temporary, you can't enqueue for a latch, but your sessions just retries to obtain it, and eventually goes spinning. Obviously this is documented, but you still prefer *not* to read any documentation.
2 Define 'much time'. And no one can resolve anything without a version. We don't keep track of the version you are using so just must specify it every post, if that's not asked too much.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA