Re: ORA-1195 after recovery attempt

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 06:59:33 +0200

On 27 May 2006 19:51:54 -0700, "jg" <jgro247_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>We just experienced a catastrophic disk failure that forced us to
>restore from a "hot" backup. We rebuilt the server from scratch and
>then reloaded the Veritas backups which included hot backups taken by
>the Veritas agent. Included in the Oracle backups is a copy of the
>"backup controlfile to ..." file. We copied this file to the correct
>controlfile locations, mounted the instance and did: recover database
>until cancel using backup controlfile. We applied the archive logs that
>were available and then cancelled. We then issued "alter database open
>resetlogs" (everything we've read indicates that this is the only
>option when one recovers using a backup controlfile). We get "ORA-1195
><system-tablespace-datafile-name> needs more recovery" (or something
>like that). We've scoured the internet and have many scenarios like
>ours. We tried the various suggestions with no success (i.e.: a number
>of people suggest doing a point-in-time recovery, so we've tried that,
>setting the point in time to slightly after the last tablespace came
>out of backup mode and the controlfile backup was completed, same
>results).
>
>We're running Oracle 7.3 on Windows NT4 and backing up/restoring using
>Veritas 8. We're running an application called ChemStore.
>
>This is a critical system and any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

This usually occurs after a complete recovery, with the online redolog missing, as the online redolog wasn't archived prior to the backup. No other solution than
recover database until cancel using backup control file and either feeding it the name of the online redolog (if you have it) or just hit CANCEL
and
alter database open resetlogs

I don't think your system is critical as you are using a version of Oracle that has been obsoleted *eight* years ago.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA