Re: 9i Rac with active/passive config

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:18:31 -0500

On 2006-05-23, nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to set up 2 node 9i rac on linux , such that one node is
> allways active and the other one is passive. so that all connections
> are allways directed only to the active node?

        Not sure about 9i but with 10g you can setup your connections so that you've got a primary->failover configuration. You can even preconnect to both databases if you want.

        You can also always pick an choose which node of the cluster you make connections to. You can still address individual instances as such at the tns level.

> I think it is possible with data guard , but I do not know for sure..if
> it is possible then please point the link to the installation set up
> for the same.

        The idle nodes will always be "active" as long as they are online.

        There is only one database in a RAC cluster, one set of datafiles, one set of shared disks. It's quite unlike dataguard in this respect.

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \

                http://www.usenet.com