9i external tables

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 16:42:01 GMT

Having a bit of trouble specifying a hex field delimiter character on a 9.2.0.5 database for an external table. Here's the DDL for the external table. I want to specify the TAB character as the delimiter. I know that "\t" will work but that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. I want to get the syntax right for hex delimiters. I've tried '09', 'X09', '0X09', '0x09', 'x09' and the same with double quotes instead of single quotes. The DDL executes but a query against the table returns no rows. If I change it to '\t' it works fine. What am I doing wrong? The 9i documentation says "09" or '09' but that does not work. The 10g docs say to put X or 0X in front of it but that doesn't work either.

CREATE TABLE external_test (

   ID                   NUMBER(6,0),
   first_name           VARCHAR2(16),
   last_name            VARCHAR2(16)

)

ORGANIZATION EXTERNAL
(TYPE oracle_loader
 DEFAULT DIRECTORY user_home
 ACCESS PARAMETERS
 (
 RECORDS DELIMITED BY NEWLINE
 FIELDS TERMINATED BY '09'
 )
 LOCATION ('test.txt')
)

REJECT LIMIT UNLIMITED; Received on Tue May 23 2006 - 11:42:01 CDT