Re: Transfer database to new server - easieset way

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:04:27 +0200

On Mon, 22 May 2006 22:00:31 GMT, "Sam" <sasan.raisdana_at_mobidia.com> wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>I'm new in Oracle and want to know what is the easiest way to transfer a
>database from one server to another server,
>
>We have one development server and I want to transfer all database with
>users, accounts, permissions and data from this development server to a demo
>server, with same database name and everything, I haven't install Oracle in
>new demo server yet, and I like to know, after I install Oracle in the new
>server
>what is the easiest approach to transfer exact database to that machine?
>backup? or import/export or maybe copy data files?
>Data inside of this database is not very important and server can
>shutdown/restart for a while,
>
>And database is Oracle 10g.
>
>Thank you in advance - Sam

Always wonder why people never include exact versions and platform info. Probably because they think it doesn't matter, or they have a problem typing.
In 10g, the rman command duplicate database would take care of all possible situations, even of converting datafiles from big endian to little endian and vice versa.
One would need to set up a dummy instance on the target machine (ie without creating a database), set up sqlnet connectivity, make sure rman locates all files at the correct destination and blow away.

In more simple scenario's, one could
issue
alter database backup controlfile to trace on the source system
shutdown the source database
copy the datafiles to the target machine copy the tracefile to the target machine edit it to reflect the new instance
run it

It should also be possible to clone the database easily using the expdp utility, but I have never done that, and I would need to read manuals for that, something you evidently want to avoid by asking this question.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA