Re: Q: RAM Sizing for 10g

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:41:15 GMT

> From the oracle docs I found this:
>
> At least 1024 MB of physical RAM

That's a recommendation. I have small test databases that work just fine with a total SGA of 200MB, much much less than the 1GB recommendation.

  > We currently have about 150-200 users. Our existing servers have 12G of RAM. Is that enough to carry us through?
> Do I need more for 10 from 9? Performance on our 9i systems is OK but I just want to make sure it stays that way
> when we move to 10.

Only you can answer if 12GB of physical memory on your database server is enough. Is it enough currently under 9i? If so, then it will probably be enough under 10g too. In those databases that I upgraded from 9i to 10g, I did not have to increase my SGA size.

There is some info in the Upgrade Guide which does talk about the need for a larger Java Pool, etc. So you will want to check this doc for info to see how it pertains to your specific environment. For example, if you had a small Java Pool in 9i, you might need to increase it in 10g.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net