Re: Standby Database - convert working standby to primary

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 May 2006 14:29:51 -0700

>>alter database activate standby database;

You sure about that? I had thought that activating the standby rendered the primary unuseable.

The only way I thought was viable was to:

-stop the propagation of logs to the secondary destination
-shutdown the standby
-create 'normal' control files for the standby database via a 'create
controlfile' script
-change the pfile to use these normal controlfiles instead of the
standby controlfiles generated by the primary
-start up the secondary database as normal.

Granted, my methods here are with Oracle 8, which does not use Data Guard - but the OP should confirm that 'activating' the standby does not result in the primary database becoming unavailable.

BD Received on Tue May 16 2006 - 16:29:51 CDT