Re: Veritas Cluster, 10g EM agent configuration

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:58:02 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Mon, 15 May 2006 21:07:01 GMT, Chuck
> <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com> wrote:
>

>> This is just a simple question that's probably been asked before but I
>> can't find the answer either here or in the Oracle docs.
>>
>> I have a two node Veritas cluster. Each physical node runs two virtual
>> hosts (total of 4 on the cluster). Since there is the possibility of any
>> of the virtual hosts running on either of the physical hosts, shouldn't
>> each 10g EM agent be configured with it's own unique port # in
>> emd.properties relative to the entire cluster? I.e. if there are four
>> VIP's, shouldn't there also be fore unique port #'s used?
>>
>> TIA

> Metalink has articles on this issue.
> Depending on how you configure the agent (ie for which IP you set it
> up), it will listen for all IP's involved.
> You don't need 4 agents and/or four ports, you need 1 Agent.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I don't have the luxury of changing the architecture already in place. They way it was set up in advance was to have a separate oracle home for each VIP and a separate Agent for each VIP. I'm trying to work within the same architecture. Given that architecture, don't I need a unique port # assigned to each agent?

BTW I did search Metalink before my OP and didn't find anything addressing my specific architecture. The closest thing I found was doc # 358637.1 - Agent Deployment Best Practices. The document only addresses RAC clusters. Received on Tue May 16 2006 - 08:58:02 CDT