Re: Unique index lock

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 May 2006 15:41:17 GMT

sasha_at_literal.ru wrote:
> Yes, something like that is one of decisions we discussed here.

Something like what? Please quote the context you are replying to.

> But imagine: this happened -- one session blocked another and went for
> dinner.

Oracle locks are not designed to be work-flow locks. I.e. the locks are designed to lock items while the computer does what it needs to do, not while humans go and get dinner. If you want work-flow locks, you better implement them yourself with flag columns or such, or you will have a constant struggle with this kind of thing.

> Is there any way to unblock waiting session for a moment to
> raise an exception?

Isn't that exactly what the nowait does?

> Something like "Mary works with the object named
> like you try to name yours. Find her and talk her."
>
> Is there any administration way except for killing one of sessions?

How does that work? Killing a session tells you your session has been killed. It doesn't tell you to go talk to Mary.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB