Re: Oracle 10g RAC load-balancing configuration

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:29:16 -0500

On 2006-05-11, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH wrote:
>
>>> I should have been clearer. You can but there are many reasons why
>>> you should not. You just hit one very important one. The other
>>> reason is that if the init.ora files are different, and Murphy's
>>> Law clearly indicates this will happen sooner or later, you would
>>> have different instances with different parameters: A very bad idea.
>>
>> Using spfiles isn't going to change that.
>>
>> pfiles and spfiles are completely interchangeable with respect
>> to how dbca handles this consistency issue.
>
> If one wishes to do stupid things nothing can stop them. Oracle's
> recommendation, though, is clearly spfiles.

        Your advice is empirically wrong. Your justification for that advice is also wrong and is obviously so with just a moments reflection.

        It's really easy to overwrite a copy of a file on top of a symlink and create the problem that you are claming is solved by simply avoiding pfiles. Now, the default behaivor of dbca might not be the brightest. However, you can't really use the "well this is what Oracle says" argument if you are going to go around and fix the niggling little problems that Oracle's tools might leave behind.

        RAC doesn't alter the reasons one might have for running spfiles rather than pfiles.

--

	Truth is irrelevant as long as the predictions are good.      |||
                                                                     / | \

                http://www.usenet.com