Process monitoring by HP OpenView

From: Gump <phefford_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 May 2006 20:27:14 -0700

I am running various Oracle 9i databases on different Windows servers on a network where HP OpenView is also deployed.

I have been asked by the HP OpenView administrators if I would like to utilise a feature of HP OpenView whereby they deploy an agent to my server that can monitor services/processes and report back to the HP OpenView console if a service/process stops running.

I'm wondering if this is going to provide me any extra value.

I already have an interface to HP OpenView. I have a number of Oracle Event Handler events configured in Oracle Enterprise Manager, e.g. listener down, tablespace full. When an event occurs a message is written to OEM console as well as the Event Handler log file. A HP OpenView agent reads this log file continuously and reports messages back to the HP OpenView console.

Does anyone else use this so-called service/process monitoring feature of HP OpenView for any of their Oracle services/processes? If so which services/processes are monitored? Would you recommend utilising this feature of HP OpenView? Received on Wed May 10 2006 - 22:27:14 CDT