Re: Poor Performance on Oracle9i - 9.2.0.7

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:56:55 +0200

eavanzi schrieb:
> Hi, Volker.
> In my development environment I am using the spfile but in my
> production environment I am using the init.ora.
> Are there differences between them, please?
Oh boy.
Could you please get a consultant to your place? Convince your boss to pay whatever it's worth (I guess in the low 4 digits (US$)) for a one day consultant and then sit on his lap, watching and taking notes.
Then tell your boss that he can either pay the consultant for each incident or let you go on the basic oracle 10 day dba course (US$6000). State clearly that you, with your current skills portfolio feel unable to guarantee any degree of reliability of the database you are supposed to manage.
Please communicate with your boss in a way that leaves a paper or email trail, because when he says no and your system performs poorly/crashes/loses data it's his fault and not yours. Believe me, this is CYA time for you.
If your boss doesn't want to pay then either the system is less important than you think or your business has overreached itself and will suffer. If your system is less important then that means you can (in a pinch) afford to lose data. In that case, try MySql. It lacks oracles supporting infrastructure (rman, dataguard, oem, sm), doesn't offer as much parameters to play with but is much much easier to manage.

I'm getting out of this thread. You have my full sympathies for being thrown into an impossible situation but I feel any advice in terms of what to do to the database is going to do more harm than good.

Lots of luck!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.