Re: Regarding TRANSACTION RECOVERY

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 May 2006 07:22:01 -0500

On 9 May 2006, miotromailcarlos_at_netscape.net wrote:

>>>So it means, whether the record is commited or not,data from online
>>>redo logs can be written to to the data files,right?

> No. Entries in the log buffer are written to the log files.
>
> Commits trigger sync writes.

I thought Oracle also writes to the disk at any point in the transaction, completely at its discretion. Uncommitted data can be found in the datafiles during a transaction. Its the redolog that Oracle completely depends on to either back these records out or leave them there or flush them if needed, or not write them to disk until a later time.

The point being, Oracle can write to disk whenever it deems the most performant time to do so because it is 100% protected by the redologs. Is this not correct?

--
Galen Boyer