Re: Daily procedures - what are current best practices?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 May 2006 15:27:23 -0700

Brian Peasland wrote:
> > I have found I am much more likely to read an email than I am to go out
> > and run it manually.
>
> I strongly agree!!!! I email everything to my Inbox, which is quite full
> when I get started for the day. I'd rather go to one source than
> multiple sources. I go one step further and have the Subject line of the
> email indicate if my job succeeded or failed, if applicable. That way, I
> may not even have to open up an email if a job succeeded. If the job
> fails, I open the email to see why it failed.

I much prefer this too. It was tough to break the habit when I got a customer who didn't want email coming or going from the big production server. I finally convinced him to at least let me send mail, then immediately got egg-faced with a cert sendmail advisory.

For dba functions, I find that automating them too much makes me forget about them. It's a good thing to make "morning rounds." Also good to just poke about sometimes as though you were a new-to-the-site dba, it can be amazing what performance issues the users _won't_ complain about. The trick is not to give in to compulsive tuning disorder. I've never quite figured out how document this type of work, since procedural documentation seems to be for junior staff to perform by rote.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/investor_relations/gartner_no_clear_winner.pdf