Re: Daily procedures - what are current best practices?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 8 May 2006 10:21:51 -0700

HansF wrote:
> The response to a [sarcastic] comment I made in another thread got me to
> thinking:
>
> What are the daily/weekly/monthly 'best practices' being used in various
> oranizations o keep on top of the health of their database environments?

It starts with service level agreements ( or lack thereof ) and standards ( or lack thereof ).

Many smaller shops and organizations do not operate like that and as such tend to do a lot more manually ( looking at alert logs ) if those things get done at all.

Documentation should be current that notes what is being done, by whom, and when ... as well as escalation procedures for when anomalies are noted ( hopefully anomalies are getting kicked out by some automated process ). Procedures should be in place that force periodic revisits of the documentation and it's applicability and usefulness.

Really this type of thing hasn't changed since the late 90's although some details ( database feature level dependencies ) does change version by version.

Does this help you?

> It's time I updated (or at least reviewed) my routines, and I thought it
> might be an interesting discussion.

It's also something that should be discussed with the auditors ( for better or worse ) after making sure that IT management is on board. Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 12:21:51 CDT