Re: Oracle 9i - Putty - tnsping works - connection does not!

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2006 04:51:11 -0700

>We are running WindowsXP Professional on both computers.
>The error returned is: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out

Aha. Then on db host you need to add the following to the registry:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME<n>\USE_SHARED_SOCKET(REG_SZ)=TRUE

where <n> is home number (probably 0) and (REG_SZ) is value type. Then you need to restart the db and the listener. This should fix your problem. By default, Oracle on Windows uses port redirection (that is, when you connect to the service, it replies with redirection packet, which tells you to reconnect on different port,) which prevents you from connecting to the service though you can connect to the listener. Note that this will only help for dedicated connections, shared server still uses redirection and will not work without additional config to lock dispatches to specific ports and setup tunneling for these ports, too (and then still some woodoo might be needed to get this all working.)

Hth,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 06:51:11 CDT