Re: Oracle 9i - Putty - tnsping works - connection does not!

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 May 2006 01:53:38 -0700

>> It's not really messed up and it can work just fine - I routinely use
>> SSH tunneling in similar way to communicate to remote applications
>> and databases securely, however there is probably something wrong
>> on remote side in OPs' case.
>
>Really?

Really. Loopback interface is still interface and can be listened on. PuTTY doesn't care if it's loopback or not - it simply listens on this interface and forwards traffic wherever it's configured to forward. How the remote side forwards it further is a different question. It may be not forwarded further at all if you're talking to sshd on db host directly.

>That's where the whole thing is done: on the firewall side.
>You must have something like
>LocalForward 1500 dbhost:1521 on the remote side. You also must have
>gateway ports enabled.

See above. It's not mandatory to have remote sshd to be configured this way if sshd runs on db host and you are accessing it directly. If you are using it as the gateway then yes, it should be configured like you say.

Regards,

    Vladimir M. Zakharychev
    N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)     http://www.dynamicpsp.com Received on Mon May 08 2006 - 03:53:38 CDT