Re: Which is better and in demand RAPTOR Or TOAD

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:43:46 GMT

On Sun, 07 May 2006 03:02:31 -0700, peter wrote:

> Hello DBAs
>
> Thank you previous question Answer
> Pls tell me, which utility is better RAPTOR or TOAD, because I think it is
> better to work to extra utilities like these so on which utility will I
> work.

Like any tool or uitiltiy, SQL Developer from Oracle is in the process of evolution.

You are requesting a market comparison of a tool that has been around for several years and has had time to develop a solid following (Toad) with one that has been around for 2 months (SQL Developer, formerly Toad).

The two tools are similar.

Toad is much more mature. Toad has a lot more capability (for now). On Windows platforms, Toad is a lot faster. On *nix platforms, toad does not run and is therefore a lot slower.

SQL Developer works on all the platforms I use. SQL Developer is free and will stay free. SQL Developer is [apparently to be] included with the base install of the database. SQL Developer is supported by Oracle.

The way I see it, if you have bought Toad (it is a for-fee licensed product), then stick with it. If you use the free trial of Toad and have to download the free trial every few weeks to get around the license time-out issue, then consider SQL Developer.

Either way- consider that the biggest benefit of staying with a single tool is that you can get into biased religious-like arguments that can be used to consume a lot of time.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com