Re: Poor Performance on Oracle9i - 9.2.0.7

From: eavanzi <eavanzi_at_romi.com.br>
Date: 5 May 2006 09:46:40 -0700

Hello.
Thank you for your questions.

Did you read the database migration/upgrade guide for the 9.2 release ahead of time? Did you test the application against a 9.2.0.7 database prior to
migrating it?
Answer: Yes! I opened a TAR with Metalink and the Oracle Support informed which document I would to use to do the migration. I did read the migration/upgrade guide and the migration process was tested in a development database. The applications are compatible with the 9.2.0.7. The performance in the development database was poor, too, but the development server is a Sun E450 (2 processors and 4GB RAM mem). It is very different of the production servers.

How are you gathering statistics?
Answer: Yes! I have gathered statistics using the "Gathering Statistics Schema" concurrent request for ALL schemas with 30%. In another time, I gathered statistics with 50% and the performance was worse.

Have you changed your use of histograms? Answer: Please, clarify me about it. I do not know if I have used the histograms.

What part of the application is slow? What are the most business critical parts of the application? Have you considered opening a service request with Metalink?
Answer: The critical parts are: INV, MRP, AR, PO, HR. I do not know exactly which are all the critical parts. I opened a TAR with Metalink but the Oracle Support are not getting to solve the problem and I am not getting to find an oracle consultant to help us.

Downgrading from 9.2 to 8.1.7 is an option. Answer: That is a not option.

Setting the init.ora parameter optimizer_features_enable=8.1.7, but that tourniquet will be difficult to remove as its instance-wide. Answer: I configured the optimizer_features_enable=8.1.7 but the problem persisted. Then I changed it to 9.2.0

As you can see, the situation is critical. The systems analysts are verifying the SQL statements. I think the latches (data contention) are degradation the performance. What do you think?
Thank you.
Edson Received on Fri May 05 2006 - 11:46:40 CDT