How to prevent oracle from deleting audit trail files

From: <dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 May 2006 07:20:36 -0700

My question is more of UNIX admin question, but since some people in this group are both UNIX and Oracle administartors, I am asking here for advice.

I have Oracle installed as oracle UNIX login on a HP UNIX 11i, Oracle processes also run from oracle UNIX login. Oracle is writing some audit files in a directory. Is there anyway for me to ensure:

  1. audit files cannot be deleted by oracle.
  2. audit files cannot be modified by oracle outside of oracle processes, i.e., oracle processes can obviously write the information, but I if I login using oracle, I cannot edit the file.

Only solution I know is to have a cron script that runs every few minutes, which will change the ownership of files to root (or a non oracle login). But then the script has to figure out when the file is completely written (i.e., oracle is done with all its writing. I.e., no longer will write to this file ...).

Are there other solutions? Any pointers will be helpful.

Thanks Received on Fri May 05 2006 - 09:20:36 CDT