ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option - 10g R2 database

From: Kris <krishnaprasadn_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 May 2006 07:56:59 -0700

I received the following error in my alert log file when i was trying to open the 10g R2 database after creating a NEW database manually.

ORA-00704: bootstrap process failure
ORA-39700: database must be opened with UPGRADE option

I was wondering how the solution worked considering it was a new database and why I was being asked to use the UPGRADE option.

I used following script to create the database manually

CREATE DATABASE bmw01
Maxinstances 1
Maxloghistory 1
Maxlogfiles 10
Maxdatafiles 100
logfile

group 1    ('D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\logfile\redo_01.log') size 10M,
group 2    ('D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\logfile\redo_02.log') size 10M,
group 3    ('D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\logfile\redo_03.log') size 10M
datafile 	'D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\datafile\system_01.dbf' size 300M
sysaux datafile	'D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\datafile\sysaux_01.dbf' size
100M
undo tablespace UNDO datafile

        'D:\oracle\bmw\oradata\datafile\undo_01.dbf' size 125M character set WE8MSWIN1252
;

Upon firing the above the database was created but catalog / catproc.sql's failed, after which I was not able to open/start the database at all.

I could find the following solution somehow on the net. Follow the steps mentioned below

  1. start a new sqlplus session
  2. fire the following command on sqlplus

STARTUP UPGRADE 3. The database now opens successfully after which catalog and cataproc sql's can be fired.

4. Now shutdown and startup the database as the database was started with UPGRADE option.

pupbld sql can be executed after step 4.

(please note that the database created was a new one, It wasn't a 9i database ).

Krishnaprasad
9i OCP DBA Received on Thu May 04 2006 - 09:56:59 CDT