Oracle accounts / os accounts

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 May 2006 06:15:32 -0700

I think I know the answer to this, but one never knows what one doesn't know ...

I'm the only Oracle guy in a fundamentally DB2/SQL-Server shop. As the other DBA's are having to pick up some Oracle (and I'll have to pick up some dB2 and SQL-Serve) and hammering on me about assigning privileges to db user accounts. On their systems, they create users at the OS level, assign them to groups, and grant db privileges to those groups -- all outside the DB, it seems. I've always used roles, and have played with OS authentication, but I've never seen anything in Oracle that does what I understand them to be describing. Can someone with experience in both worlds clarify for me what they are talking about and can that really be done in Oracle using something I've never delved in to? Received on Thu May 04 2006 - 08:15:32 CDT