Re: Adding Change Data Capture to Oracle 9i LOgical Standby Database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:31:28 -0700

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Not sure what do you mean by Synchronous vs. Asynchronous. My
> understanding of CDC is that it adds the necessary triggers, so as
> changes are made to tables, CDC triggers will "fire" and record
> ("publish") changes in some CDC tables. How can this publish part be
> asynchronous. I hope we are talking about same CDC.
>
> I want to run CDC in logical standby database instead of primary
> database if possible.

Your understanding is incorrect.

CDC operates in three different modes ... one of which is synchronous and uses triggers. The other two are asynchronous and mine the log files. I teach a CDC class here through PSOUG and have a CDC demo on the web in Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org that shows one form of asynch capture.

The decision of which version to use depends on your specific requirements but rarely would I recommend synchronous capture.

Daniel Morgan
www.psoug.org Received on Wed May 03 2006 - 11:31:28 CDT