Re: Easyloader - Oracle spatial

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 2 May 2006 16:16:16 -0700

paulquinlan100_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking to load a MapInfo tab file into Oracle and then perform a
> number of queries. I'm an Oracle novice so have fallen at the first
> hurdle. I've created a database in Oracle and run Easyloader from
> within MapInfo. When i click on the Oracle Spatial button i get asked
> for User ID, Password and Server Name. Im assuming the first 2 are the
> the username and password for the existing Oracle Database, is this
> correct?? as for the Server Name i dont really have a clue, how can i
> find this out??
>
> For info i'm running Oracle 10g, Mapinfo Pro 8 on an non-networked
> laptop, im just trying to set up a prototype app.

It does help to say exact Oracle version and OS.

What did you call your database when you installed it? Try ORCL if you accepted windows defaults. Search for ORACLE_SID in your registry, that should put you right in the middle of all the interesting stuff.

There may be a file named tnsnames.ora, perhaps under %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin or $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin. For example, when I installed Oracle Express it put this in there, among other things (where XXXXXXXXX is my host name I've hidden for posting purposes):

XE =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = XXXXXXXXXXXX)(PORT = 1521))     (CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = XE)

    )
  )

So if I put XE (the first one, which is an arbitrary string, not the service_name, which must exist on the host) as a servername in a tool that has things set up to point to this tnsnames.ora, hopefully it will find it. Remember, even a local node like your laptop can be a host (loopback). I'm not familiar with the tool you are using, so maybe it does something different. Also, you may have an Oracle Home Selector under your start menu, which can condition your environment properly (in other words, point at the correct registry entries). There is also a network configuration program to run if there is no tnsnames.ora. But that all depends on how you installed Oracle.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Paul
>
> p.s. if anyone knows of a half decent intro to setting up this sort of
> connection id be very grateful.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
About 4 miles from my house.  I drove through one of the intersections