Re: 8.1.7.4 standby database - missing some log files???

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 May 2006 13:46:20 -0700

BD wrote:

>I will also attempt to create a routine that does a checksum before the
>files are rcp'd, and verify that checksum at the other end.

If you are doing a remote copy, don't you think it would be easier on the network to copy the compressed files? My experience has been that results in faster throughput (at least with my abused and slow WAN). Then I compare file sizes after uncompression, seems to catch all the transmission-based problems in my configuration. I originally intended to do a checksum, but this seems good enough, any noise inserted will make the uncompress the wrong size. Over the last couple years, it's caught a few, vs. ~3 failures/month with 8i options. Network has been upgraded, but still, shipping an order of magnitude fewer bytes means that much less opportunity for collisions/retransmits and other transient network problems.

>Every hour, to conserve disk space, we take log files that are over 10
>minutes old, zip them up, and move them to a different directory. So
>the full log stream includes the compressed files, plus the most
>recent, uncompressed ones.

I don't know the details of your system, but this is a red flag to me. Unless you are checking to be sure "old" logs during slow times are not active?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I remember McMartin.  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/24.27.html#subj1