Re: From 7.3.4 (Unix) to 10gR2 (Windows).

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:00:34 GMT

t538449 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 7.3.4 database on a Solaris 2.5 server (32 bit) I want to
> export and import into a 10gR2 database on Windows 2003 (32 bit). Since
> Solaris 2.5 and 7.3.4 has a limit on 2Gb files, I usually use pipes to
> transfer exports between servers, but I dont know how to resolve this
> with Windows 2003. Is there any way of achieving this without having to
> ugrade the 7.3.4 database?
>
> Thanks,
> Kenneth

While not a Windows solution...you can run exp/imp across the network to the database. So create a TNS entry on your Solaris server pointing to the Windows server. Then invoke imp using the TNS entry similar to the following:

imp userid=system_at_tns_alias ....

You'll be able to import into the database running on Windows that way and leverage the named pipes in Unix.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net