Re: what sort of dba can you get for 100K nowdays

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2006 08:04:22 -0700

Well said Joel. To work well in any IT job any candidate for that job more than likely really only needs to meet the minimum technical job requirements. The most important requirements in the long run are those that relate to being able to work with the team. To compliment other players in the project. Characteristics like drive, determination, learning ability, ability to compromise, work ethic, wiliness to share knowledge, work weekends, or assist someone after hours are what separate good DBA's from the lesser DBA's. You can substitute employees for DBA in the preceding sentence.

There are some very knowledgeable people out there, but if they will not lift a finger to help someone unless forced to what good is that knowledge to your organization.

But there is a minimum level of technical knowledge that must be meant.  I am not surprised that none of the five candidates seem to be up to standards. A lot of people want to be DBA's and those working as DBA's cover a lot of ground as pointed out. If after 10 candidates none of up to standards then I would be looking at my search process.

Make sure the questions are well constructed and clear about the topic of interest. After all if the question of performance is worded wrong it could imply that there is a generic performance problem in the more current release as oppossed to really just wanting to know what are the most likely root cause of performance problems.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Fri Apr 28 2006 - 10:04:22 CDT