Re: Why does oracle support suck so much?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:12:21 GMT

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:22:45 -0400, NetComrade wrote:

> Another bug we are apparently hitting (4449644), which has to do with
> excessive CPU usage by Oracle Dispatchers, has been fixed in 9.2.0.8,
> which unfortunately is not available for AMD Linux yet, but they've
> been working on a 'backport' patch for over 3 weeks now. I have
> repeatedly tried to escalate this issue today, and all I get in the
> TAR is 'escalated with development', which means _nothing_.. I got a
> message from another 'duty manager' today, it basically stated the
> following:

Patches are notoriously slow for anything. As far as I know, 9.2.0.8 doesn't yet exist, period.

> "It's impossible for us to give you an estimate on when your backport
> patch will be ready, since we have no control over it. It's in the
> development 'queue', and it updates daily. It's the nature of software
> business to have such uncertainty"

It depends on the monsoon season and weather conditions in Elbonia. My advice is to get more cynical. Reading Dilbert is a good way to start. Threads like this on this forum do push Oracle a bit as they do not want negative advertising. They will do so grudgingly but they will move their rear ends faster if you make enough noise. An example is the new 10.2 distribution which works with FC5. It all happened quietly, in the last few weeks, after somebody starting raising hell on all possible forums.

--
http://www.mgogala.com