Why does oracle support suck so much?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 14:22:45 -0400

Over the years I have learned to rely less and less on oracle support, because quite often you get someone who is either incompetent or thick-headed. Thanks to this group, asktom website and many other useful oracle sites (or just plain googling) this has been more or less possible. However, sometimes when you think you're hitting some bug, one has no choice but to log that TAR via metalink.

I have recently had to open 2 tickets.

One of the tickets was on mysterious job ownership changes (multiple schemas, same procedure name, same time), I posted about this earlier
(Apr 17, same day as I opened a ticket). It took Oracle over a week to
admit that this was actually happenning, meanwhile giving me suggestions such as "Do you need this job? Can you drop this job?"
(copy and paste from the TAR), while I had to repeatedly state
something between the lines of "Oracle should not be 'confused' about which schema is running and should report which job is failing. Please search the bug database and advise on how to figure this out.. We can't debug our application is Oracle itself is buggy.". Eventually I was told that we must be hitting a Bug 4480940 SIMPLE IMPORT REASSIGNS JOB OWNERSHIP, but it doesn't look like this bug has anything to do with our problem (there are no 'imports' going on here). For now we gave up and 'migrated' to crontab's instead

Another bug we are apparently hitting (4449644), which has to do with excessive CPU usage by Oracle Dispatchers, has been fixed in 9.2.0.8, which unfortunately is not available for AMD Linux yet, but they've been working on a 'backport' patch for over 3 weeks now. I have repeatedly tried to escalate this issue today, and all I get in the TAR is 'escalated with development', which means _nothing_.. I got a message from another 'duty manager' today, it basically stated the following:
"It's impossible for us to give you an estimate on when your backport patch will be ready, since we have no control over it. It's in the development 'queue', and it updates daily. It's the nature of software business to have such uncertainty"
So maybe next time we have to pay Oracle we can just say "we don't know when we'll have the money, but we'll certainly pay at some point in the future.."

One of the most ridiculous things I ever heard from Oracle

We run Oracle 9.2.0.6 on RH4 AMD
we are currently looking for a DBA
remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 13:22:45 CDT