8.1.7.4 standby database - missing some log files???

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2006 11:19:33 -0700

Hey, all.

I'm having a weird issue with standby under 8.1.7.4. on AIX.

My goal is to create a read-only reporting database, which will be put into recovery mode a few times a day, to catch up on logs generated from the master.

My routine at this time is as follows:

**Master Database:
-Normal operation; redo files are copied to secondary location for the
standby db to apply
-Right before applying this redo to the standby, I do an explicit ALTER
SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT on the master, to ensure that the current redo log is written to archive.

**Standby Database:
Currently in read-only mode; the following is run as a script shutdown immediate;
startup nomount;
alter database mount standby database;
recover standby database;
auto
alter database open read only;
exit

My testing process is very consistent at this point:
-I update one value in one table in the master db three times, to
generate the same amount of redo. This is the only session in the primary database.
-After three updates, I do the ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT, then run the
recovery commands on the standby as a script.

However, _sometimes_ the 'first' log file which is required for the current recovery is not in the secondary location. The remainder are all there. I am forced to do a manual copy of _one_ file from the primary archive_dest to the secondary, after which point the recovery works smoothly.

The only thing I can think of is that something in the process of shutting down the standby is interrupting the stream of log files. Makes sense that it would. Considering that it is the 'first' log file in each recovery process that is missing, that file must have been generated while the standby was in the process of restarting for recovery in the previous 'iteration'.

I have read posts which confirm that a restart is required to reset from read-only mode back to manual-recover mode. If this is the cause of the interruption in the redo stream to the secondary location, am I forced to do something at the OS level to ensure that all redo log files are synchronized??

BD Received on Thu Apr 27 2006 - 13:19:33 CDT