Re: DB block corruption question

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 02:27:13 GMT

There are two types of corruption you can run into, logical and physical.

Physical corruption is when the block on the disk becomes corrupt and can no longer be used, or used as intended. Data Guard does not ship the actual block to the Standby database, rather it ships a copy of the transactions which are replayed in the Standby. So you should not see physical corruption propagating from your Primary to your Standby.

Logical corruption is when the data in the block does not make sense to the application. For instance, the column holds the account balance and that balance has a third digit to the right of the decimal point (ex. 101.101). It is up to constraints, etc to ensure that you do not have logical corruption of your data. Any logical corruption will be propagated to the Standby from the Primary as the transaction is valid as far as the database knows.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
oracle_dba_at_nospam.peasland.net