Re: QUESTION: Do standby db's still 'work' if they're shut down?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:05:42 +0200

On 26 Apr 2006 10:50:59 -0700, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey, all.
>
>I'm working through configuring a standby database under 8.1.7.4 for
>reporting purposes.
>
>It works, which is nice. I'm now just working through various scenarios
>to understand its behavior.
>
>I ran some changes into my master, after having changed the listener
>port for the standby (and failing to update my tnsnames file). The
>master could not contact the standby.
>
>This was unintentional, but I was going to test a scenario in which the
>recovery db was down for a while while changes were being run into the
>master.
>
>The latest alert log entry in the standby indicates that it's waiting
>for thread 1 seq 5 - but the current log sequence on the master is 12.
>
>Is this a scenario where I'd have to do a manual "archive gap" process?
>Is the standby just going to sit there idle until I resolve this
>externally?

The question would be better phrased
'Is the standby just going to sit there idle eternally until I resolve this?'
And the answer is a resounding:
Why, Yes, of course!!
We had to rebuild standby databases many times because no one was paying attention (even when the alert was monitored by Openview) and the required archives had been deleted or gone offline forever, which would have forced us to involve customer, to load the tapes.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA