Re: Best Oracle configuration for HP DL585, six 6402 controllers and 42 disks?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2006 16:02:06 -0700

Heikki Siltala wrote:

>What is
>the reliability and failure rate of a 6402 controller - in our
>configuration all the databases will go down if one >controller malfunctions.

I don't know, but I do know that I've seen controller problems on every type of hardware I've seen over the last 25 years, as the software guy breathing a sigh of relief because the problem wasn't something I've done. There seem to be peaks in failure when they are new and when they are a few years old. An MSA1000 I'm working on had a controller failure when it was new, as well as more than one disk at a time. Now it is giving frame time out errors when under heavy load (it seems to consider exports and RMAN heavy load, and sometimes high levels of redo), so far they appear innocuous, I'm thinking the fibre channel driver just complains too much. While this may sound bad out of context, actually I'm quite impressed with it and would recommend it for a small site. But I'm a software guy, what do I know?

I wouldn't be dependent on single controller paths if I had a choice. It's never up to me.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Hey, someone is using a nickname I used to use!