Re: QUESTION: Estimating required rman incremental backup size from redo??

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2006 14:35:42 -0700

>the incremental was about the same size as the archived redologs.

Fair enough.

>Please also keep in mind, if you have incrementals, your archivelog
>backup is going to be ignored during restore and recovery.
>Also one can't use an incremental for block recovery.

The first statement makes sense, and I'm sure that's fine - I have not really decided whether it makes sense to even back up the archivelogs if I'm doing incrementals (I'll decide that as I learn more) -

As to the second statement - I was not aware of that. Is that the case in 10 as well? I'm pretty sure I saw a demo recently in which a full backup, and then an incremental backup, was taken, a block was intentionally corrupted, and then recovered with rman - the block recovery process worked fine. Not _sure_ if an incremental was involved in that demo, but I thought so.

Regardless - if that's the case, then I guess that answers my first question - if I had to do block recovery on a day after which several incrementals have been done, I imagine I'd have to use the full backup, and then the archivelogs, to repair that block. Therefore, backing up archivelogs in incrementals would be a good idea. I'm sure I'd do it anyway, just to be as safe as possible.

Interesting. ;) Received on Tue Apr 25 2006 - 16:35:42 CDT