Re: "In search of a mythical beast," Clusterd, raid, filesystem

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:23:25 -0700

"JEDIDIAH" <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet> wrote in message news:f4mvh3-m5g.ln1_at_nomad.mishnet...
> On 2006-04-20, Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a client who has two disparate disk arrays that can't talk to each
>> other.
>> I'd like to have a shared Oracle home using a clustered filesystem, but,
>> my knowledge, I cannot find a compatible clustered filesystem that offers
>> redundancy in case one of the arrays becomes a door stop.
>
> Why not just use Linux LVM the same way you're using ASM as an lvm?
>

>> Does anyone know of any clustered filesystem that can provide redundancy
>> through two disparate disk arrays?
>>
>> Here are some specifics:
>>
>> The database is 10gR2 SE RAC base installation (no patches yet).
>> The OS is Redhat EE U3, 64 bit, SMP (1 dual core Xeon), 8 gigs of
>> memory..
>> Database files are handled by ASM using disks from each array.
>> The two disk arrays are connected via iSCSI.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> PS: I *really* love the fact that 10gR2 allows you to configure mirrored
>> copies of the OCR and voting disks during installation.
>

> --
> The best OS in the world is ultimately useless |||
> if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates. / | \

> http://www.usenet.com

To my knowledge, neither LVM nor LVM2 not communicate betwixt-nodes. One will step on the toes of the other.

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup