Re: using UTL_FILE and HEXTORAW()

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_nospam.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:33:00 -0700

On 21 Apr 2006 13:30:41 -0700, "CJ" <spambox1_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>Actually, I have a customer who interfaces to my software asking this
>question. Do the PL/SQL docs state the put_line does automatic data
>conversion, i.e. byte 0x1E to bytes "1E" ascii? If so, can you provide
>cite by page reference?

I don't think put_line does any kind of conversion--whatever is in the "buffer" argument is written to the file. I don't know why your test with hextoraw resulted in two characters in the file, but it might have to do with put_line being restricted to text. Besides put_raw for arbitrary bytes there are put_nchar and put_line_nchar procedures for writing Unicode.

---
Bill Manry - Oracle Corp. USA
Opinions are mine, not Oracle's.