Export resource usage

From: Dustin Roberts <pulse301_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2006 13:13:47 -0700

I'm trying to do some research on how an export will affect the resources on an Oracle database. I'd like to narrow it down to 9i release 2, but if the export utility hasn't changed between versions then anything would be nice. I've been searching on Google, AskTom, OTN, etc, but I can't find anything that talks about how the export utility impacts database performance. I'm basically trying to figue out if running export during the day when the database is being used heavily is OK, or if it shoud only be run during off peak hours. I know there can be problems with setting consistent=y and not having a large enough rollback segment. I also know that doing a direct import is faster because it doesn't use the select statement. But I would like to see some statistics on resources used by export. Can anyone help me by pointing me in the right direction, maybe a white paper or a tech breif? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dustin Received on Mon Apr 24 2006 - 15:13:47 CDT