Re: replication, Materialized views, and transparent data encryption

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:13:55 +0200

Maxim Demenko wrote:
> EdStevens schrieb:

>> Platform: Oracle 10.2 EE on Win2003 server
>>

>> It says "Materialized views cannot be based on tables that contain any
>> columns encrypted using transparent data encryption."  Does this mean
>> that the MV table can't have encryption on it, or does it mean that the
>> master table from which it is pulling cannot have encryption?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I've done some quick tests, it seems, the former is meant. I could
> create materialized view as select * from table_with_encrypted_columns,
> data in the materialized view however don't get encrypted. Wenn i tried
> to encrypt column of materialized view container table with "ALTER TABLE
> MV_TABLE MODIFY COLUMN(MY_COLUMN ENCRYPT)", i got ORA-01732: data
> manipulation operation not legal on this view.
>
> Best regards
>
> Maxim

I doubt you can refresh them using a job - your MV was created by your session; hence the transparent encryption (or rather: DEcryption) was active.

The ORA-01732 could be thrown because you did not create an updateable MV.

Sorry - my 10.2 server is down for maintenance...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...