Re: Simulating dataguard maximum availability protection mode in Oracle 9i or 10G standard edition

From: ciarande <ciarande.26rmoz_at_no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 06:52:14 -0400

I have been looking into this for a client. We have an old configuration with 8i (stabnard edition) running a physical in standby in non-dataguard. We have migrated to 10g RAC (still standard edition) and we believe we do that same thing again as regards standby. We also want to use this instance for reporting also (as described here). We plan to run the standby/reporting instance on slightly less powerful machine (but with the same OS and number of bits as the RAC nodes i.e. Sles9 64 bit). The disk group names will be the same with regard to sizing and naming as the live instance. I believe this will be ok so far.... The question is: Are there any implications of RAC here - there's one standby/reporting machine - is this to be set up in RAC, one node or in non-rac mode?

Thanks,
Ciaran.

--
ciarande