Re: Question about installing instantclient on linux using Oracles instructions

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:17:31 GMT

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:41:16 -0700, Mark wrote:

> Installation Steps:
>
> 1. Download the appropriate Instant Client packages for your platform. All
> installations REQUIRE the Basic or Basic Lite package.
>
> 2. Unzip the packages into a single directory such as "instantclient".
>
> 3. Set the library loading path in your environment to the directory in
> Step 2 ("instantclient"). On many UNIX platforms, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the
> appropriate environment variable. On Windows, PATH should be used.
>
> 4. Start your application and enjoy.
>

> I've done the steps 1, 2, and 3. Now what? Start which application? And
> where do I set the oracle sid and host IP address (and the other details
> like in tnsnames.ora if I installed the full Oracle client). The 4 step
> instructions above are, to a novice, a little lacking in detail.

Oracle, and others, are apparently tired of the 'registry'. The new installation methods, as seen in Instant Client, SQL Developer, and so on are:

  1. download,
  2. unzip,
  3. ensue all other software hooks are visible,
  4. run.

In this case, instant client is the supporting tool for any application that wants to talk to an Oracle service. Therefore, step 3 involves using some PATH that the application can reference to find the instant client programs. (For SQL Developer, the PATH thingy was telling SQL Developer where to find Java.)

Step 4 is to run the application. For SQL Developer, the application is SQL Developer. For Instant Client, the application is something that needs to connect to Oracle. Could be SQLPlus, ODBC, .Net, and so on.

HTH

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com