Re: Dependencies and invalidations.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:05:57 GMT

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:16:16 +0200, Frank van Bortel wrote:

> I fail to see why changing execution plans should
> invalidate functions and procedures?!?
> What does the state of a procedure have to do with execution plans?
> Or, to take it even further, SQL with PL/SQL?

My understanding was that SQL contained within the PL/SQL procedures was compiled, together with the execution plan. If that is the case, whenever SQL plan should change, PL/SQL should be invalidated. If, on the other hand, SQL within PL/SQL units is dynamically re-parsed whenever the environment changes, the performance benefits of having stored procedures over executing anonymous scripts do not exist. Avoiding dynamic parsing was one of the biggest promised benefits of using stored procedures.

--
http://www.mgogala.com