Re: Oracle slowed down

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:47:51 +0200

Bob Jones wrote:
> "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Bob Jones wrote:
>> -
>>> Sure, have you ever seen a system with 30% performing better than 100%,
>>> provided everything else being equal other than the buffer cache.
>>>
>> Yes.
>>

> So you have seen 2 completely identical systems, apart from the buffer
> cache, the one with 30% hits outperforms the other with 100% hits. You must
> have disks that are faster than memory.

Oh, and in addition, I've just seen a (10g Rel 1, patch level 4, AIX 5.2L, 64 bits) system where the performance drastically improved by DEcreasing the block buffers. Don't know about BCHR, because I do not place any value on it, but it went down.

I define a factor of 100 or more as drastically.

Overall performance still wasn't good, though.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...