Re: Dependencies and invalidations.

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:02:27 +0200

Maxim Demenko schrieb:
> Mladen Gogala schrieb:

>> In Oracle RDBMS 10.2 it is practically impossible to invalidate a PL/SQL
>> object. I tried with adding indexes, dropping primary key

> Not every ddl invalidate the dependent procedures, only changing layout
> of tables ( i.e. add/drop/modify columns, maybe something else, but not
> add/drop constraint, alter table move etc.)
>
> and analyzing
>> the underlying tables,

> Here you are joking - right ?
>
> but the PL/SQL procedure build on top of the table
>> remained valid. Oracle 9i PL/SQL objects were much more sensitive.

> You probably don't have 9i instance right now to test, the behaviour is
> the same in 9i and even 8i.
>
> Best regards
>
> Maxim

Digging a little bit further, have another suggestion , what you are speaking about: if a view was created on a table and function referencing this view - ( i.e. in your example emp1 would be not a table but a view on emp ) - then dropping the primary key will invalidate the view and in turn invalidate the function. The same behaviour in 10g as well - should mention also, i didn't know about this .

Best regards

Maxim Received on Sat Apr 22 2006 - 20:02:27 CDT